Home Forums Careers Questions How do I choose a “commercial awareness” topic to discuss at interview? Reply To: How do I choose a “commercial awareness” topic to discuss at interview?

William Lowe
Participant

I remember in one of your podcasts a few months ago you mentioned that it’s good to have a broad range of knowledge that is as in depth as possible, as well as how it is too simple to just talk about areas that you are interested in. Often, many new topics will stem from discussions in one topic. For example, you might be talking about the luxury goods industry whereupon the interviewer will then lead the conversation towards supply chains, and then again to IP rights. From what I have gathered, it’s good to make these links and be able to walk an interviewer around one topic, whilst obviously remaining faithful to whatever question you get asked. A good way to do this is by having conversations about certain topics with friends (or on this forum!), as this can help you to think critically about the implications that one sector will have on another.