Home Forums Careers Questions How do you answer “how will this news story affect our firm/business”? Reply To: How do you answer “how will this news story affect our firm/business”?

Ines Pinheiro

Hi Apollonia!

When it comes to that question, I always start by asking: What are the strengths of the company/firm?

In considering this, it’s important to note things such as international presence, whether they adopt a sector-focused approach, what are these sectors, and how are they relevant to the economy? What are the main clients?

Once this is clear, I use Watson’s Daily, weekly and monthly to read the highlights in those industries. After choosing the most relevant stories, I find it helpful to use the archive feature to find out more about the topics I’m interested in. Then I narrow everything down and use Peter’s analysis of my fav stories to guide my analysis. But I also find it helpful to contrast these points and read opposing views to inform my argument!

Finally, I use models such as the SWOT analysis and the stakeholder approach to determine how this analysis affects the firm/company.

Is this similar to your method?